Wednesday, September 9, 2026

September 7 - At sea again

As I look back on what I’ve written in the last couple of weeks, this has been a pretty unexciting cruise, yet I’ve been having a good time. We sailed from Sydney last evening after two days tied up at the dock.  The first night and day the captain had to keep the thrusters on continuously to keep the ship against the pier.  Had he not done that the lines might have snapped; the wind was that ferocious.  We learned that Cape Breton, which is where Sydney is located, had about eight inches of rain in less than 24 hours which is why all the tours were canceled.  Roads were flooded, trees were downed by gale force winds, and it was apparently their version of a good old-fashioned  nor’easter.  A few intrepid people went ashore briefly and came back absolutely soaked and well buffeted by the wind.  No one I know attempted to go.


Today we’re on our way to Halifax, Nova Scotia and the seas have been relatively calm and we saw a strange sight in the partly cloudy skies – the sun!  We hadn’t seen that for a while and we were all nearly blinded by the light.  We have the usual sea day lectures, games, and opportunities to just laze the day away.   Hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow because I am scheduled to go on a tour to a couple of vineyards there.


I can tell that the cruise is coming to the end.  People are talking about packing and post-cruise plans.  People are keeping the Future Cruise Consultant busy purchasing future cruise credits which entitle them to get a discount even if they wait until later to book another voyage.  We still have a couple of my favorite showtime events coming up.  One is a new one to me.  Tomorrow evening there will be a Seabourn Dancing with the Stripes show.  It’s their version of Dancing with the Stars and four brave (maybe foolish?) passengers volunteered to partner with an officer and learn a dance routine.  I had lunch today with one of the volunteers and he showed me a few bruises on his arms that he managed to acquire during rehearsals.  The other event will be the Crew Talent Show which is always very enjoyable.  It never ceases to amaze me of the talent some of the people who work very hard behind the scenes have.  I think all of us passengers look forward to that show.


I’m sitting now in the Observation Bar where it’s afternoon tea time.  I come to sit by a window, have a cup or two of Earl Grey and listen to the quiet music being played.  Today one of the very talented guitarists is playing softly in the background.  There is a funny group that meets up here during teatime.  In the official program it’s called “Ross’ (he’s our very gay – he makes no bones about it – cruise director) Needlepoint Get Together.”  I have heard some of the people who go call it alternatively the “Stitch and Bitch” or “Knit and Natter” group.


Well, I’ve rambled on enough for today.  We have our last formal night tonight and my friends and I decided we didn’t feel like having the froufrou menu always served in the restaurant on those nights.  We were very pleased that in the alternative restaurant we can instead enjoy fried chicken and what the chef calls “comfort food.”


No comments: