Time to catch up again. Yesterday my two friends and I were picked up at the Brown’s Hotel and we were driven together to Dover for embarkation. The ride took a little longer than it did in June when I was going in the opposite direction, but I guess that was because we had to make it through London traffic. (The city looks absolutely full of tourists and the traffic was awful.) Anyway, the time went fast because we talked a lot and we arrived at the terminal which was once the old railroad station. As we waited for the luggage people to tag and pile our bags on the cart, a shoreside English lady came over to me and said that I needed to look over to the second floor of the terminal because there were people there waving like crazy. Sure enough, several crew members still here from my last voyage were waving a welcome and when we got upstairs to check in there were lots of hugs. It’s always nice to see old friends.
![]() |
| A different shot of the White Cliffs of Dover. It was a gorgeous day! |
We boarded quickly and then I went up to the Patio to find some more friends who were on with me in June and who had embarked a week ago in Copenhagen. Sure enough they were at our usual table along with some other old friends I didn’t know would be onboard. We got the important stuff over with fast (we formed our trivia team!) and then we spent an hour or two catching up. I decided to skip lunch so that I could instead indulge in my first afternoon Adult Milkshake. One of my favorite bartenders LJay was still there and she made me a delectable apricot adult shake with I don’t know what kind of spirits. Aah! I am home!
My suitcases were on my bed when I got back to my cabin, I unpacked, got cleaned up and met my friends for the Solo Cocktail party. There were some people I’ve met before and a few new ones. It seems to be a nice group. Then we decided it was such a lovely evening we’d eat outside at the Earth and Ocean restaurant. We had a delicious dinner and then Stephanie and Claudia went off to bed. I went to my favorite bar to get my favorite after dinner drink and wound up staying and talking until nearly 1 AM to old and new friends. I had fully intended to go to the Club and hear the new band and dance, but that will just have to wait until this evening.
This morning I didn’t get up until nearly 10 AM so naturally I missed breakfast. We’re in Cowes, Isle of Wight. I was here around this time last year and I’d been here a time before, so I’m staying onboard. It’s a cute little town, but nothing to really make me feel a need to tender ashore. I will enclose a photo I took last year and actually put on the blog then, but it was so cute I feel it bears another look. On the little cobble-stone street going up to the main street in the village you pass the Union Inn which has the only welcome sign of its kind that I’ve ever seen and it just tickles me. Aside from writing this I’m having a pretty lazy day which I need because I’m still adjusting from the jet lag. Anyway, all I can say is "Life is Good" here on the good ship Ovation!
![]() |
| The Union Inn - if you haven't read the sign before saying who (or what ) is welcome, you really must read it. |





1 comment:
Thank you Ann for the pictures of the room, at the Browns. Nice room, big and lovely bathroom too.
Now you’re on your way to a very exciting trip. And it’s wonderful to have all the friends with you too.
Post a Comment