Wednesday, May 8, 2024

May 6 and 7 - Klawock and Ketchikan

I’m here in Ketchikan, Alaska which is the southernmost major settlement in the state.  This is our last stop in the US before the cruise ends.  Today I began the fun task of packing.  In many ways packing to go home is easier than doing it when you’re beginning a trip.  There aren’t choices to be made; you just know that everything has to get packed.  Nonetheless I still dislike doing it. But there are still a few places to write about so here they are.


Yesterday we had a first. We were the absolute first cruise ship to go to Klawock, Alaska.  It’s a tiny city on Prince of Wales island in the lower part of the state.  According to the latest census data there are 720 residents. The people were very excited at the visit and were delightful.  We tendered to a brand-new dock where they had built a tent with lots of chairs, flower boxes, a fire pit and people to greet us and answer questions.  There was a shuttle bus to take us to the little town where in a community center/gym there was an artisan market. A number of artisans were selling their products ranging from jams and canned salmon to furs and paintings.  I bought some hand-painted note cards from one artist and a pair of earrings from another.  Most of the people I saw looked to be indigenous.  On our ride to and from the dock I didn’t see a grocery store of any kind, not even a little Mom and Pop store, so I’m not sure what people do for food and shopping.  Today someone told me that the town flew in two bus drivers from Juneau for the day because they didn't have enough locals able to do it.  They really went all out for us. I read that Klawock first became settled by Europeans in the latter half of the 19th century to first salt and then later can fish.  I didn’t see a cannery around so I’m not sure that’s still done there.  As I said, the people were so nice and the place is very pristine, but I couldn’t imagine living there.  I’m not a big city girl, but Klawock was too rural for me.  All of us on the Odyssey do forever have bragging rights as Klawock’s first cruise visitors.


The dock, walkway and tent ashore were completed two days before we arrived.  Our visit was a really big deal for these folks.

The landscape is just beautiful.



Overnight we sailed the short distance to Ketchikan.  I’ve been here before and it was always raining thus earning its name  “the Rain Capital of Alaska.”  Today, wonder of wonders, when I went ashore the sun actually peeked out and I didn’t feel a drop. According to the last census there are 8100 people here, but I wonder if that’s full-time or if it includes the folks who come  to work the summer cruise season.  I met several such individuals in stores that I walked through.  One was from St. Thomas and another was from Mazatlán, Mexico.  They both told me that they hadn’t gotten accustomed yet to the temperature (which was about 45° today).

Ketchikan hugs the shoreline of the waterway which is part of the Alaskan Marine Highway and Inside Passage.  The surrounding terrain is very steep and forested so most of the city is only a few blocks from the water.  There’s a creek that runs through the city and when the salmon are running you can see them jumping as they travel upstream.  We were too early for that. 






When I looked out this morning I saw that we weren’t alone here.  We were docked between a big Princess ship off our bow and a Carnival vessel off our stern.  It was a good day for the merchants and restaurateurs of Ketchikan.  We were docked right downtown and as I got off the first thing I saw was the beautiful bronze statue called “The Rock,” which pays tribute to the early pioneers and native peoples who helped build Ketchikan.  There are a miner, a fisherman, a bush pilot, a logger, a frontierswoman and a native drummer. Atop the sculpture is a native chief who is greeting the newcomers.  The place was bustling with cruisers looking for bargains.  There are lots of jewelry stores, including ones that I’ve seen on nearly every Caribbean island, fur stores, and the usual tourist souvenir trinkets.  I wandered through a lot of them but wasn’t tempted to buy anything.  I met a couple of entertainment people who were going to lunch at a place that is known for good fish and chips and they asked if I’d like to join them.  I declined because it hadn’t been that long since I had breakfast, but I’ll bet it was good.  The crew on ships are always eager to have a meal ashore and I can’t say that I blame them.  When you’re on a ship for a long time, the food does get pretty repetitive and a change is nice.  I confess that I’m feeling that way now too.   After I’d checked out the shops on the few streets here I headed back to the ship.  There was a shuttle to a local Walmart, but I went to the one in Kodiak so I didn’t need to visit another.  If there had been a Costco I would have gone there, not because I need anything but just because it’s interesting to see the different merchandise available in different places.  Years ago Al and I stopped at a Costco in Maui and they sold all kinds of leis, fruits and fish that I’ve never seen in the Newport News Costco.


We were supposed to have a sailaway ABBA dance party on deck this afternoon, but the weather gods didn’t cooperate.  It’s sprinkling and pretty cold and windy so the Cruise Director postponed it.  He’s had a terrible time scheduling dance parties ever since Sydney two and a half months ago.  I think all but one or two have been rained out. As I look out now I see that we’re on our way again.  Tomorrow we’ll be sailing down the Inside Passage heading to our last port, Nanaimo on the east coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia.  Tomorrow is also a big day – it’s the final Trivia match.  Will we win?  I hope so because I have a few more people to whom I’d like to give my prizes.  There are so many fantastic crew members here.


Anyway, that’s it for today.  Hasta mañana.


1 comment:

Cyndi & Ed said...

I think it was really exciting to be the first to visit anywhere and Kalwock made Ketchikan look huge. lol